Wednesday, November 28, 2007

This coming Sunday begins the season of Advent in many of our Christian churches throughout the world. Many of you know it by those little Advent calendars on which you count down the days till Christmas. The word Advent literally means “getting ready for a coming” or “preparing for an entering into existence”. While we could use those phrases, Advent sounds so much better, cleaner, and neater.

In essence though, Advent is a kind of microcosm of all of life, isn’t it? I mean, aren’t we always getting ready for the return of Christ? Aren’t we always preparing for him to come? Maybe we are, but then again maybe not.

Are you ready for Christ to come? I don’t mean as a baby in a manger at Christmas. I mean as the eternal ruler and judge over all the world, as either the Savior or judge of your soul. Are you ready for him and for that? Why or why not? What makes you ready?

Simply put, it is faith that makes you ready. It is faith in Christ Jesus that saves, nothing more and nothing less. What I am trying to say is that if you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for you, then you are ready. You are ready for when the bridegroom returns to enter the banquet feast. You are ready when the trumpet sounds. You are ready to make that entrance into life eternal.

As a pastor I so often have to be there and help people when they are in their worst distress. One comment I often get is, “I am not sure if I am going to heaven. I don’t know if I am good enough.” The answer I always give often seems a little bit to simple. At the same time it is the only answer I know. I first ask them, “Did Jesus die on the cross?” If they answer yes, then I ask a second question, “Did he die for you?” If they answer yes to this second question then I simply say, “Then you are saved and you are going to heaven.”

If you spend your whole life wondering whether you are saved or not, what good is that for you? If you spend your whole life trying to be good enough and never succeeding what will your life be like? It will be full of distress, anger, resentment, and despair.

If you live your life as Christ want you to, as his forgiven, redeemed, and saved child you will have peace in your heart even when there is no peace in the world. You will have peace because you know that Jesus’ death on the cross was for you.

As you begin this season of Advent on Sunday, please know that your sins are forgiven so that this time before Christmas can be a joyful time for you. When you get to Christmas and you have your loved ones all around you, thank God that he sent His one and only Son to be born in that barn for you and for them! The peace of Christ that comes from the knowledge of your salvation go with you all your days!

No comments: